Reports on the health consequences of cannabis use are mixed. There have however been studies done that suggest there are health consequences, so those considering medical cannabis should read up on the research before blindly following the crowd.
Latest research shows A1C does not benefit and DKA events double.
- Treatment for Neuropathy Pain (link)
- Improved insulin sensitivity for type 2 diabetes treatment (link)
- Recurrent diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) in patients with type 1 diabetes
A research letter summarizing findings from a survey of 450 adults with type 1 diabetes was published November 5 in JAMA Internal Medicine. Source
- Adults who used cannabis had almost doubling of the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) compared with non-use
- Cannabis users had an A1C level that was a mean 0.41% higher compared with non-users
What’s your opinion on this? Do you think the researchers have it right?