Seen buzz on Facebook about a restaurant that was unfriendly to people taking insulin? We are here to once again explain an important diabetes news story….with memes.
1. The owner of Mike’s Pig Pen decided people taking insulin were icky to look at, so he hung up a sign in his restaurant about it.
2. A Facebook user publically posted a photo of the sign, with some commentary.
3. The business owner tried to quell Facebook discontent by telling the woman she was wrong.
4. That was enough to incite the online diabetes community.
5. Diabetes activists began posting negative reviews on Yelp and Facebook, and someone even bought out the web address for the restaurant.
6. Within 48 hours the sign was down and the owner was on the local news looking bewildered and somewhat apologetic.
7. Many in the diabetes community rejoiced in the victory, while some (including, admittedly, this author) wondered if the actions taken had gone too far.
8. With this victory, the Type 1 community had a growing realization that it could be a powerful force of online activism.
You can read more about the controversy here.
Do you have a diabetes news story that you think would be good to explain in memes? Email us at email@example.com.
Thanks for reading this Insulin Nation article. Want more Type 1 news? Subscribe here.
Have Type 2 diabetes or know someone who does? Try Type 2 Nation, our sister publication.